Sunday, June 14, 2009

Happy Days are Here Again!

The good news is that the atalas are back, as of June 10, folks! The reports are still sporadic, but we there are more and more sightings from Palm Beach to Lauderdale. Miami is still lagging behind, unlike years past. Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden gave up waiting and did a little "assisted re-location" with a breeding stock that originated with them years ago. Those individuals did not survive, so another attempt was recently made to 'seed' the colony. I'll let you know how the colony is doing.

There are several sites in North Lauderdale, a few in Palm Beach. Those of us involved with the butterfly are not advertising locations yet so that the colonies are not disturbed by collectors or people eager to "assist" their re-location. As I told one of our helpers, it is difficult to keep any kind of records of what colonies are going where and when....it's good to establish new colonies, but it is very helpful to those of us following it on a scientific level to let someone know. Tell me...or any of our NABA or IBWG people to help us keep tabs on the butterfly! A few new colonies have appeared on their own, too.

Dick Freshley sent the larvae photo...the ovipositing photo is mine....



This is the longest that I've held my breath waiting for the miraculous summer re-appearance!

OK, everyone...BREATHE!



Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Chris Hernandez said...

Good news! I'll let you from our sites as soon as we see any activity. (Arch Creek, Crandon, etc.)

10:03 AM  
Blogger merci33 said...

I'm so happy that I stumbled onto your site. You're doing wonderful work and I look forward to coming back and learning.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Donna said...

Just thought I'd let you know I must have about 50 chrysalises in my yard in Davie.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home